This course covers the 3 main areas of Criminal Justice: Policing; Courts; and Corrections. Your assignment is to take one of these elements, which can be broken down, (i.e. Corrections may be broken down to Probation, Parole, Community Corrections, Prison and Jobs, Prison Life, Correction Officers, etc.) and research the historical perspective. The paper should summarize how/where it began, and where it is now. The paper should also include your thoughts on changes, opinions, ideas that you would employ. These changes can be structural, bureaucratic, etc.
For this assignment, you will submit a reference page of 5 possible sources that you are going to use on your Research Paper.
Your reference page must include:
• 5 possible resources for your research paper.
• The resources must be related to the specific area of criminal justice you identified in the Unit 1 Research Topic Assignment and was approved by your instructor. You will provide a 2-3 sentence summation each resource.
• Your reference page needs to be in APA format.
• Length: at least 2 double-spaced, 12 pt. font pages, not including title or reference page(s).
• Your reference page will be in APA format.
Prisoners and Recidivism
When a someone is arrested, jailed, and then freed, he or she will encounter a variety
of difficulties. When prisoners are released from prison, they have a tough time reintegrating
back into society. Ex-convicts are routinely turned down for employment and housing
opportunities. Housing and employment opportunities are exceedingly tough to come by,
which contributes to an increase in recidivism rates. Background checks are performed by
employers and landlords, and the results of these checks are kept on file. Ex-convicts are
unsure about where to begin when it comes to enrolling in college courses. Fortunately, there
are techniques that can assist newly released convicts in their reintegration back into their
communities(Vacca, 2004). For example, reentry programs assist those who are currently
jailed or who have recently been released from prison in reintegrating back into society. For
people who have been recently jailed, prison reintegration programs have been
implemented. Reentry programs that can aid ex-offenders in obtaining work, housing, and
other resources are a promising first step toward overcoming the difficulties they confront on
a daily basis. Another element that may have the ability to lower recidivism rates is the
assistance of the former inmate's family members. Support might also be obtained from a
psychotherapist or from a religious institution. If there is no support structure in place, the
former convict may reintegrate into his group and no longer be held accountable(Durose et
Prior to the aforementioned reforms, there were no services available to assist newly
released convicts. Ex-convicts were left to fend for themselves and were frequently forced to
return to their previous life of crime in order to make ends meet. Employers who are regarded
as "felon friendly" are beginning to employ criminals from their ranks. General Mills, Family
Criminal Justice 1
Dollar, and General Electric are just a handful of the companies that are welcoming to
felons(Chen & Shapiro, 2007).
Chen, M. K., & Shapiro, J. M. (2007). Do harsher prison conditions reduce recidivism? A
discontinuity-based approach. American Law and Economics Review, 9(1), 1–29.
Durose, M. R., Cooper, A. D., & Snyder, H. N. (2014). Recidivism of prisoners released in 30
states in 2005: Patterns from 2005 to 2010 (Vol. 28). US Department of Justice,
Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice ….
Vacca, J. S. (2004). Educated prisoners are less likely to return to prison. Journal of
Correctional Education, 297–305.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Why Hire Safehomework.com writers to do your paper?